If you are looking to sell your diamond jewelry, timepieces, loose stones or other diamond-related items, you have options. The traditional method is to sell your merchandise in person at a brick-and-mortar location like a pawn shop, jeweler, or diamantaire (specialized diamond dealer). These buyers typically offer a portion of the item’s retail value, then turn it around to resell it for a higher price in order to make a profit. Depending on the item and the customer base, the same diamond may be more valuable to one type of buyer than the others.
Another increasingly popular option is selling diamonds to an online diamond buyer. Unlike the traditional options, online buyers operate via websites, allowing sellers to “visit” from anywhere. Online buyers tend to focus more on the value of the materials than the resale value of the items themselves. Instead of being limited to a portion of the retail price, diamonds are priced at their full material value regardless of quality and appearance.
You could also sell your diamonds directly via marketplaces like eBay or Craigslist. However, these types of sales can be riskier as there are no guarantees or protections for either party. Depending on the situation, you may have to cover ancillary costs like shipping and insurance and the site where you listed your item may take a percentage of the sale. These transactions typically take longer to complete, as you’ll need to wait for responses from prospective buyers and make arrangements for sale.
WHY SHOULD I SELL MY DIAMONDS ONLINE INSTEAD OF IN PERSON?
You might think taking your diamond jewelry to a pawnbroker is a faster way to earn some extra cash. While a pawnbroker may know something about the diamond value, they are in the resale business and therefore are often unable to offer you nearly as much money for your diamonds as a direct buyer like Diamond USA. In fact, a pawnbroker is more than likely to turn around and sell your material to a company like ours.
Selling diamonds online offers benefits like the following:
- No travel. You can sell diamond jewelry on the internet from the comfort of home, saving you time, money, and energy. There’s no need to drive between pawn shops and jewelry stores to get an estimate; just ship your items and wait for the offer to come in. It’s an ideal option for people with limited mobility or limited access to transportation.
- More options. There are only so many in-person diamond buyers you can reasonably visit in an area. Online, you have access to dozens of options, including international buyers.
- Easy comparisons. Instead of driving back and forth between jewelers and pawn shops, you’re able to quickly and easily compare different online buyers right in your web browser.
- Up-to-date pricing. The internet provides easy access to the most updated diamond pricing information. Online buyers are able to check these prices and adjust to changes more quickly than pawn shops and other physical locations.
- Better offers. In-person jewelers and resale shops have to deal with the costs of running a physical storefront (rent, maintenance, employee pay, etc.). Online buyers don’t face the same overhead costs, so they tend to have more freedom to offer the highest, most competitive prices.
- Fast cash. Online buyers are often able to work faster than in-person buyers because they aren’t running a storefront. At Diamonds USA, we’ll offer you a payment amount within 24 hours of receiving your items. You don’t have to worry about long appraisals or travel time, and in just a few days you can have the additional money you need to pay bills or make purchases.
- Low-risk policies. Online buyers are more resilient in general. If an in-person buyer takes a loss or too many sales fall through, they could fall short on the costs of running a store. You might feel pressured to make rash decisions, and you may take a hit if you change your mind.
- Fewer limitations on what you can sell. Jewelers, pawn shops, and other resellers are far less likely to purchase diamonds with noticeable flaws or less popular cuts. Online retailers like ours are not worried about these aspects and will accept all kinds of diamond items.
Diamonds USA offers customers unsurpassed offers for all their diamonds. We pay you an amount of money for your diamonds—and for their silver, gold, or platinum settings—that’s in line with what they are actually worth. Why pawn your diamonds for a small percentage of their actual value when you can sell diamonds online for their full value?
WHAT IF I BOUGHT MY DIAMONDS ONLINE?
If your diamonds were purchased online, selling them online is ideal. If you also sell those same diamonds online for a higher price, you’ll have minimized your cost and maximized your profit.
WHY ARE DIAMONDS SO VALUABLE?
Diamonds are a naturally occurring gemstone that have fascinated humanity for a long time. We’ve been mining this rare stone for thousands of years, turning its raw form into clear, glittering gems for all sorts of purposes. From diamond engagement rings to electronic components, diamonds play a significant role in our culture and industry today.
Diamonds are assigned worth based on their aesthetic value and physical characteristics. A large, perfectly clear, expertly cut diamond can sell for thousands of dollars simply because it is beautiful and well-crafted.
WHAT ARE DIAMONDS USED FOR?
Diamonds are well known for their classy, eye-catching luster in jewelry. However, fashion is only one of many uses. In fact, gemstone-quality diamonds only account for 30% of today’s diamond usage!
Non-gem uses of diamonds include (but are not limited to):
- Industrial tools: Diamond is known for its extreme hardness, which makes it useful for grinding, drilling, and cutting materials that other tools can’t handle. Industrial drills and blades are often diamond-tipped for better efficacy and durability.
- Thermal management: Diamond is the most heat conductive material known to man. This makes it an ideal material for manufacturing things like heat sinks, electronics components that draw heat away from more sensitive parts.
- Solar energy: Engineers have developed a type of diamond film that may be more effective and durable than silicon solar cell technology. This technology would be especially useful for space applications, because diamond can withstand high amounts of radiation for much longer than other materials.
- Biomedical sensors: Recently developed technology uses a diamond lattice to create a unique sensor that detects changes in external magnetic fields. Physicians hope to be able to use this technology to examine and diagnose issues related to heart and brain conditions.
- High-power lasers: Diamonds, especially high-quality synthetic diamonds, are extremely good at focusing and transmitting light—but their value is not the same as authentic, mined stones.
HOW IS DIAMOND RESALE VALUE DETERMINED?
The resale value of a particular diamond depends on a variety of factors. To start, the base value for a diamond is largely determined by key characteristics commonly known as “the 4 Cs.”
The 4 Cs of diamonds are:
- Carat: The weight (size) of the diamond
- Clarity: A measure of the stone’s flaws, which bend light and make it appear less clear
- Color: The hue and richness of the stone
- Cut: The shape and faceting of the diamond, which create various visual effects
The value for a diamond depends on its rating in these categories—the higher the rating, the higher the price. The resale value of a diamond may differ from its original value, but a diamond that rates higher on the 4 Cs will still fetch a higher price. In addition, the market sets the price for what stones are worth. Companies will only be willing to pay the same, or less than what they can find your same stone for on the open market. If someone is selling the same stone as you for $1,000, then a buyer wouldn’t likely pay more than that, since they can already purchase that stone for $1,000.
The diamond resale price for things like jewelry is also impacted by the value of the supporting materials. A pawn shop or jeweler must often not only consider the quality of the items, but how much their customers will be willing to pay for it. Certain buyers will be motivated to offer you lower amounts to maximize profit.
Diamonds USA does not focus solely on the resale value of your jewelry or diamonds, we look at the entirety of what your items are worth.
HOW MUCH CAN I GET IF I SELL MY DIAMONDS?
The amount you can sell your diamond(s) for depends on a number of things, including:
- The type of buyer. Different buyers will value your diamond in different ways. A pawn shop, for example, will likely offer you a price based on how much they will be able to resell your item for. This is typically lower than what you paid for the diamond items when they were new. An online buyer like Diamonds USA, on the other hand, will offer you a price based strictly on the market value of its materials.
- The 4 Cs. The cut, color, clarity, and carat weight of your diamonds will be major factors in how much you’re paid for them. The better the ratings, the more you’re likely to be offered.
- The current market value of diamonds. Because there is so much variation in quality, market prices for diamonds can only be reported as an average price per carat of weight. This amount serves as a baseline for value, but the final price for a specific diamond may be impacted by the other three Cs: cut, color, and clarity as well as what’s available on the open market.
There are some diamond price estimation tools available online. Keep in mind, these calculators provide general amounts that may not reflect your actual payout. But the best way to find out what you can recoup for a particular diamond item is to request a quote from the buyer.
At Diamonds USA, we help you maximize your payout and minimize costs. From the beginning of the process, we’ll cover the cost of shipping your valuables to us. Once we’ve received your package, we’ll appraise your items and get back to you with an offer within 24 hours. We’ll also automatically include the value of any precious metals from the settings, bands, or chains.
WHAT IS THE CURRENT PRICE OF DIAMONDS?
The average price per carat for diamonds varies across multiple weight ranges. It is only a rough indicator of how much diamonds have sold for recently, but it is still valuable as a baseline amount. As of August 1, 2023, the average prices were as follows:
||Average Price Per Carat
|.50 ct. or less
|5.00 ct. or more
SHOULD I SELL MY DIAMOND RING?
That depends on your reasons for wanting to sell. You might decide that the personal and emotional value of a piece of jewelry outweigh its cash value.
Your diamond ring may have a broken band, or perhaps it was a gift you aren’t fond of. It might be an engagement ring from a previous relationship you’re ready to move past.
If your ring is an antique, designer or otherwise unique, it may be worth a trip to a jeweler or antiques dealer first. In some cases, the historic, collectible, or artistic value of the ring may be higher than the value of its materials. Likewise, the average pawn shop employee may not recognize its significance. Expert information will help you choose the right course of action and reap the fairest offer.
WHY SHOULD I SELL MY DIAMOND ITEMS TO DIAMONDS USA?
Diamonds USA makes selling your old, unwanted or broken diamond jewelry seamless and safe. Here are a few reasons why we’re the best place to sell diamonds on the internet:
- Unparalleled customer service. Read the reviews!
- The process is effortless and rapid. Everything can be done online from the comfort of home, including requesting an appraisal kit and shipping your items. Within 24 hours of receipt, we’ll have your diamond items appraised and send you an offer.
- Our diamond evaluations are performed by professionals who have been certified by the Gemological Institute of America (GIA), ensuring the most accurate price for the piece.
- If our offer does not meet your expectations, simply let us know and we’ll return your items safely at no additional cost to you.
- We cover the cost of shipping and insure your diamond shipment against loss or damage, so you don’t have to worry. Every diamond shipment has a unique tracking number and barcode so you can track your shipment online throughout the entire process.
- Top Consumer Reviews independently rated us the #1 buyer.
- We’re one of the largest online B2C diamond buyers in the entire world, with a reliable, risk-free process.
- We’ve bought and sold over $150 million in property.
- We offer a price match guarantee. If you can find a better price somewhere else, we’ll match it or ship your valuables back to you free of charge.
Diamonds USA makes it easy to get a fair market offer for your items. Request your free appraisal kit today!