If you have a diamond ring that’s damaged, broken or just not your taste, you can sell it conveniently and safely online. Ready to close a chapter and get rid of your old diamond engagement or wedding ring? Turn it into funds you can use to start fresh.
Where Can I Sell a Diamond Ring?
When selling a diamond ring, you have a couple of options. The first is to sell to a traditional in-person buyer like a pawn shop, jeweler or diamantaire (diamond dealer). These types of buyers are typically focused on reselling your ring and will offer you a portion of its resale value.
Another option is to sell online. You could sell your ring directly via sites like Craigslist or eBay, but there are risks in selling to strangers and you may not be able to ensure a fair price. An increasingly popular option is to sell to a dedicated online diamond buying company.
Why Is the Internet the Best Place to Sell a Diamond Ring?
Here are just a few reasons why selling to an online buyer is better than selling in person:
- It’s easier. Everything can be done from home, no travel required.
- It saves time. At Diamonds USA, requesting a free appraisal kit takes only a couple of minutes. Once we receive your items, you’ll get an offer within 24 hours.
- You get a better price. Online buyers don’t have the overhead costs of running a physical location, so they’re able to offer you more.
- Quality doesn’t matter. Because online buyers are typically interested in the materials themselves, you can sell broken or damaged diamond rings and free up space in your jewelry box.
How Much Is My Diamond Ring Worth?
The value of a specific diamond ring varies depending on a number of different factors. At in-person buyers like pawn shops, one of these factors might be how fashionable the ring is and how well it might sell to customers. When you sell to an online buyer like Diamonds USA, its value is determined based on its materials.
The Value of Precious Metals
The value of a precious metal is based on its purity, weight, and current market price. The market price is based on the highest purity, so lower purity values are determined by multiplying this price by the percent purity (as a decimal).
For example: 18K gold is 75% pure, so a 6 gram 18K gold band has roughly 4.5 grams of pure gold. The material value in this case is 4.5 grams x the market price for gold.
The Value of a Diamond
Traditionally, the value of a diamond is based on four key categories:
- Carat: the weight of the diamond (1 carat = 0.200 grams)
- Clarity: a measure of the impurities in the stone (higher clarity = fewer impurities)
- Cut: the shape and faceting of the diamond
- Color: the hue and richness of the diamond¹
Though lower ratings may mean a lower market value, they don’t affect whether or not you’re able to sell a diamond. Buyers like Diamonds USA will accept any quality of diamond, even if it’s cracked or broken.
How Much Will I Get Paid?
The market value of your ring isn’t necessarily the amount you’ll be able to sell it for. Different buyers have different interests and will make different offers. A buyer with a physical location, for example, will typically offer a lower percentage of your ring’s value because they need to cover the overhead costs of running the store.
The only way to know for sure how much a buyer will pay you is to request an appraisal and get an offer from them. If you just want to estimate the approximate value of your ring, you can roughly calculate it using the market prices and quality information discussed above. You can also use our online diamond calculator to estimate how much we might be able to offer you.
What If My Ring Is Broken or Damaged?
If you have a broken, scratched or chipped ring taking up space in your jewelry box, you can absolutely still sell it to the right buyer. You’ll have a hard time trying to sell a damaged diamond ring to a jeweler or pawn shop, as they’re looking for items they can sell as-is. However, online buyers like Diamonds USA are interested in buying items for their material value. We’ll gladly accept your ring and pay you fairly for it, no matter what condition it’s in.
Why Should I Sell to Diamonds USA?
Here are just a few reasons why we’re the best place to sell a diamond ring online:
- We pay more than our competitors. We guarantee to beat any competitors offer or we’ll return your items.
- You’ll get an offer fast. All assessments are completed within 24 hours of receiving the items.
- We’ve got shipping covered. All shipping materials are provided at no cost (including returns) and shipments are insured.
- It’s risk free. If you decide you don’t want to sell to us, we’ll return your items with no questions asked.
How to Sell Your Diamond Rings Online
Here’s how it works when you sell a diamond ring to Diamonds USA:
- Request a free appraisal kit by filling out the form on our website.
- Use the provided shipping materials to safely send us your items.
- Within 24 hours of receiving your shipment, you’ll receive our best offer.
- If you like the offer, we’ll initiate payment as soon as you accept. If you’re not satisfied, we’ll return your items at no charge.
Find out how much we can give you for your diamond ring(s) by requesting an appraisal kit online today!